Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Our Wedding Day: The Stuff

After a few comments from people asking about my job as a wedding planner and my own wedding, I decided to dedicate a post to it. Then when I started writing it and organizing the pictures, I realized it would take more than one post. One day I'll do a post with pictures of the day, our "first look", first dance, the ceremony and dancing, but today I will show ya'll the "stuff" that made up our wedding decor. I accumulated craft project after project and my lovely fiance at the time let me pile it all up in our house. I am so proud of how it all came together and I wouldn't do anything differently, except maybe hire a wedding planner (that wasn't me of course).

Our wedding had a rustic/vintage/travel/Louisiana theme. Oh yeah, hot mess written all over that. Somehow though, it all came together. We did travel theme engagement portraits too, and I LOOOOVED them. I will show you those in another post as well. We chose a travel theme because my husband and I started off long distance. He was stationed in Italy and I lived in Louisiana. He came home on leave, we met, and the rest is history. I visited him for a month in Italy and we've traveled many places together ever since.
 
 
We incorporated that theme in our invitations too. My brother designed them and I printed them on Kraft paper at Office depot. I spent $7 total on all 90 something invitations! (Not factoring in postage of course.)

 
Guest book table set up:
 
 
Instead of a traditional guest book, we had guests write messages on vintage postcards featuring some of the places important to us (Louisiana, Venice, Florence, Rome, Croatia, etc.)
 
All our reception flowers were silk. Great way to save money and add sentimental decor to your home. I still have some of these in our living room! We used wild flowers, garden roses and magnolias. Magnolias were important to me because my grandparents had a huge magnolia tree with a swing in it for me when I was growing up. A friend of the family put the arrangements together in different garage sale finds I discovered (antique vases, a sifter, tea kettles) I also had several centerpieces in mason jars filled with coffee beans as filler.
 

 
Our baby pictures were on the "boys" and "girls" restroom doors.
 
I found this window frame at a flea market and my husband attached wire to it so our engagement pictures and my bridals could be displayed.
 
Our little "white" chapel!
 
 
This was set up in the chapel. The Magnolia arrangement is real, from the tree I talked about above. It was arranged in an old water can my grandpa had. The flowers inside the vases were silk because real ones floated to the top (trust me, there were tests! lol)
 
 
I attached a charm to each of our mom's corsages with our baby pictures in them. They were able to detach and keep. Our moms loooved them and I was able to keep it a surprise till the wedding day.
 
S didn't want a traditional "groom's cake". His favorite dessert is banana pudding, so I was able to get our caterer to make a ton of individual ones in wine, champagne and sundae glasses. Some had cherries on top, some had vanilla wafer crumbs and some had chocolate. They were set up on Italian wine boxes and I had wrapped the S & K with twine.
 
One of my favorite personal touches. Our wedding cake was made by S's aunt and it was absolutely delicious. We used my grandparent's wedding cake topper from their wedding 51 years before ours. I placed a picture of them on their wedding day to show guests the comparison so they'd "get" that that's what the topper was about. My husband also built our backdrop! I saw the rusty tin look on Pinterest and he recreated it. Seems strange but it was exactly what I was going for.
 
 
For those of you who sucked it up and read through this whole thing, You made it! I know it was picture heavy but a lot of you have been asking and I will take any chance to show off our gorgeous wedding photos. Our photographer truly was a magician. Check her out here. She was the first decision we made regarding the wedding. I can't wait to show you our engagements and a couple of my bridals (if you all wanna see em of course!)
 
Keep an eye out for a Day in the Life of a Wedding Planner Post and more wedding pictures. Next time, the People, since we already covered the Stuff:)

23 comments:

  1. I love the personal touches in your wedding making it uniquely yours. I've attended a few weddings the last few years and some are cookie-cutter weddings. I'd rather see the personal touches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE everything and that chapel was too cute.Your personal touches were so sweet and meaningful. My brother also had banana pudding as his groom's cake. Delicious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your wedding looks amazing!! I may have to steal some of those ideas myself! i wish you were closer so you could be my amazing wedding planner!! just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing, Kassie! Loved every single thing! Where were you when I hired my wedding photographer? Remember that disaster?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! and you know we all love to look at pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning. :) Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All so gorgeous! I wish I could get a do over and have your help planning AND celebrating! How soon is to soon for a vow renewal?! hahaha I kid I kid... a little...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. I love every bit of it. Makes me wish I would have had a big wedding to share all of those lovely details. You're super talented, girlfriend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so gorgeous! Don't you want to come work closer to here when I get married? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I think you did an awesome job incorporating the vintage theme - so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can say is WOW!! That looks so awesome, it is warm and inviting. I love all the detail and personal touches. You really put a lot of thought into it and it shows! Too bad I am already married or I might just have to hire you to plan my wedding!! =) Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful!! I love the travel and personal elements you added in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I have a wedding do over with you as my planner? Please? LOVE. IT. ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving your blog, hun. Slightly off topic but good luck with everything. I've been in your place. During college I went from a size 16 to a size 2. It takes a lot of work, but trust me it's worth it. You're stunning. Can't wait to read more. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous! The invitations are a-ma-zing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG this is so beautiful! You thought of the most detailed things. I love the bathroom door photos and the postcards. So pretty! I think I want to get married again (to my current hubs of course) and pay you to plan it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that looks amazing! you are great at what you do.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you should go out and buy picture frames for all these pictures! They are a great memory to decorate your house with. I loved the idea of your invitations. And you can't beat spending $7! All the pictures were so beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I disagree with you. I think you should still be the planner for your wedding because you did such an awesome job! All the little details that you added were so personal, and I don’t think anyone else could’ve achieved the overall warm and loving effect of your wedding. It’s like each detail evokes a sweet memory. And it’s great that you’ve taken a lot of photos! That way, you can remember and savor each and every moment of that special day.

    P.S. Your love story’s such an inspiration! It just shows distance isn’t a problem when it comes to true love.

    Isabelle Galindo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very sweet! :’> Well, you have all the advantages of creating a successful, creative, and romantic wedding, Kassie! You definitely know how to make your own ceremony a heartfelt, lovely day. That’s too much of hassle on your part, though. But still, congratulations! :]

    - Kelli Mueller

    ReplyDelete
  21. It’s lovely. You are making your wedding so lovely. I think you used your professional skills for making your wedding unique .I also get some unique ideas from your wedding preparation. Thanks for this wonderful blog.
    mcallen wedding

    ReplyDelete
  22. The wedding planners-come in and with their experience of years into planning weddings, they make things seem easy, smooth and fun. It is also because of their contacts made in the industry over the years that they know exactly, how much would the wedding gown cost, and where will the Bride will find the gown that is made only- for her.
    <a href="http://www.locobooth.com/>mcallen wedding </a>

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing us beautiful photographs of wedding.
    mcallen wedding

    ReplyDelete