Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How T-Pain Made Me a Better Runner

Yes, it's yet another running post. (Sorry to all my non-running readers!)

Last night I had two miles to run on my 10k training schedule. I had a dermatologist appointment (more on that later) first thing in the morning. Literally, first thing, I’m talking 7am, so I couldn’t do my running in the morning like usual. I also had an errand to run once I got off work at 6:30, so by the time I got home, it was dark. I could’ve easily changed out of my work clothes and laid on the couch. That’s what I really, really wanted to do. Instead I downed my first ever Gu for a little pick me up, ensuring that I’d run. I know things like that are for longer runs but I wanted to try it anyway. I tried Strawberry Banana and HATED IT. Not sure if it was the texture or the flavor. Any of you use Gu’s? Better flavor suggestions?

I didn’t start till nearly 7:15 so it was pretty dark. Luckily, our neighborhood is well lit. I have a bad habit of not stretching well enough when I’m in a hurry to start and that’s what happened last night. I did stretch, but not for long enough. My shins started burning about a quarter a mile in. I told myself not to stop, and I didn’t. About 1.5 miles in I wanted to stop and stretch but then “All the Above” came on my ipod. I don’t know what it is about this song but it instantly makes me feel 10 feet tall. I love the lyrics:

Tell me what do you see
When you looking at me
On a mission to be
What I'm destined to be
I done been through the pain and the sorrow
The struggle is nothing but love (nothing but love)
I'm a soldier, a rider, a ghetto survivor
And all the above

Really what do you see
When you looking at me?
See me come up from nothing,
To me living my dreams
I done been to the bottom,
I done suffered a lot,
I deserve to be rich,
Headed straight to the top
Look how I ride for the block,
Look how I rep for the hood,
I get nothing but love now
When I come through the hood


How the hell could you stop me?
Why in the world would you try?
I go hard forever,
That's just how I'm designed,
That's just how I was built
See the look in my eyes?
You take all of this from me,
And I'm still gon' survive
You get truth from me,
But these rappers gon' lie
I'm a part of these streets
Till the day that I die
I wave hi to the haters,
Mad that I finally done made it
Take a look and you can tell
That I'm destined for greatness
I can so relate to this song, minus the whole “ghetto survivor” thing…how bout suburbs survivor? No? Okay..I realized a few runs ago how perfect the sport was for me. I love my alone time, surely due to being an only child, so the time to myself to think is right up my alley. I also realized that running is something I can do for me, much like getting a pedicure or going on a shopping trip. Such a great form of therapy.  


Anyway, I felt like I was flying throughout this song. I literally remember laughing because I couldn’t believe my legs were moving that fast. I felt like Fred Flinstone driving his little stone age-mobile. I was on cloud nine after I was done, whether it was 2 miles or 20.
 
 

While I was running, I thought about all those pep talks from Leigh Ann and pats on the back from Holly and Melanie. I also thought about the email I received from Megan, in response to my list of running questions. Thanks girl! I had been contemplating if I could be ready to run a half in February, and I wanted honesty from someone who had done it. She was honest, and she made me realize I could do it too. Why not? Her email was just the push I needed. She seriously is one of my top running motivations and I will for sure keep her in my thoughts during this training process.

So on February 24th, 2013, I will be a half marathon runner and what seems to be one of the most fun halfs there ever was, the Rock N Roll half, in New Orleans. I am super excited with only a tiny dash of scared. I am hoping to meet some of you fabulous ladies there, too! Who’s in?

Check back on the blog tomorrow for a fitness/health food/running Goodie bag swap! :)

8 comments:

  1. Girl that is AMAZING!!
    I need to get this song on my ipod asap for my runs!
    Congrats on doing a 1/2! We can do this!!!
    Those ladies are amazing ladies! I can't wait to hear all about your 1/2! Mines in April! I'm super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you are too sweet and made my day! You are totally rocking it, I can't live with out music to keep me going. I'm so serious, the girls at the gym think I'm nuts because I sing OUT LOUD on the treadmill, dirty words and all :) Music is the juice that keeps me running, CHOCOLATE GU helps too though :) So proud of you for getting your run in! Wish I could come and run with you, that would rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG YAY! I am so excited for you and you CAN do this - I SWEAR! Let the fear subside because the training is awesome, the run is fantastic, and the emotional reward is STELLAR! I will be running one in April here in St. Louis - so we will ALL be training at the same time. Holly and Keyona are running the one in April (hopefully we can run together) too - it is going to be EPIC.. EPIC I tell you - ha:) AND... I will be right here rooting you on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to add T-Pain to my running list, you know all the great ones! I'm so pumped you're going to do the half!! I can not wait to slap 13.1 mile stickers on our cars feb 25!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh- this song is awesome! I'm so glad that you are going to do it! I'm also going to run the one in STL in April! As far as GU goes... I HATE the texture of it. I prefer to use something chewy like Clif Shot Bloks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you! I run and so badly want to do a half marathon!! However, the thought of it terrifies me! Not sure why though. I've been running for about two years and just signed up to do my first ever 5K on December 1st. Something about "racing" terrifies the shit out of me! I'm seriously thinking about doing the Mini in Indianapolis to kick off the Indy 500 festivities in May. Should I or shouldn't I? I battle that question ALL the time and usually decide I shouldn't, because in my mind, I probably couldn't. Ugh... I need to write a running post. Thanks for the motivation!! :) Also, LOVE the idea of a running goodie bag swap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello I just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award please follow the link to my blog for details
    www.carrotcakeandjeans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. No need for the shout out because YOU are motivating me! I am so happy that I have found you and Leigh Ann. You two have inspired me to get y rear back in gear. Stat. And I love your honesty-- I know I say that a lot, but it's been so fun watching your journey from not running at all and struggline going a mile or two ... to now!! You are the beez-neez.

    ReplyDelete