Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My First 5k

Hey ya'll! I know I am late in posting this, but this week has been crazy hectic already. I couldn't wait to share my experience but I haven't had a chance. Here I am finally, though!


Last Saturday (October 6th, 2012), I ran my very first 5k. I am so proud that I got out there and did it, because I certainly didn't think I would complete a 5k anytime soon, even though our 10k is scheduled for November. I guess I just thought I'd go big or go home, so to speak, and my first race would be the 10k. When Leigh Ann suggested we run a 5k in our town in the place of our 2 mile "homework" for running clinic, I figured, why not? I will admit, it felt like a good idea until I showed up, but I did want to practice a race and get the full experience before our 10k, so I knew it would be a good idea to start with the 5k.

I woke up Saturday morning around 6 because sign up was at 7:30 and the race was at 8 and I wanted to eat something well in advance. I had a Peppermint Stick Luna Bar and a tall glass of water and got dressed and ready. I arrived a little bit earlier than Leigh Ann because I'm always nervous to be late to stuff like that. I signed in and received my "swag bag" which was just a t shirt and some ad's for local companies. I also got my race bib, which I was super proud to put on-my first of many! Leigh Ann arrived and we warmed up a little bit. Next time I will stretch at home then again at the race site. I got my music and heart rate monitor all ready and the nerves started going crazy. Was I really doing this? It was what they call a fun run, so I knew there would be runners and walkers. I think if it was strictly running I'd have been a little more hesitant.

In all the chaos, I wasn't expecting that gun to be shot so when it was time to start it was kinda like, "oh crap, let's go". I totally forgot to start my heart rate monitor, because I was too busy adjusting my little belt I use to hold my car key and phone.

As expected, I started out way faster than normal. Everyone was running together, as there were no corrals or anything, so I just kept up with the pack. I didn't really struggle as much as I thought. My first mile was completed at a 9 minute pace. That shocked me because my average pace is 12 minutes, then 13 or 14 as the miles progress. The second mile was finished in about 12 minutes. I lost track of my pace towards the end and don't even know what time I finished yet. (More on that later.)

While I was still toward the back of the pack of runners, I could tell I paced myself better than some and although I was slow, I felt steady and strong. I kept thinking, "I'm really doing this! I'm really doing this!" Such a proud feeling for me. I stopped to walk a couple of times but always just for a few seconds at a time.

At about the last 1/2 mile, my music stopped. I pulled my phone out of its pouch and that's when I realized my car key (which I had detached from my key ring) was no longer there. I kept feeling around and ultimately stopped to see if it had just then fallen out. I made a decision to just keep going because I could see the finish line. I know that cost me some time, but I really tried to make the best of it and not stop. I crossed the finish line with a couple of girls from our running clinic cheering me on, again such a great feeling. The first thing I told Leigh Ann was "I lost my car key!" The running high was short lived because I don't have a spare (smart, I know) and my husband was not anywhere near to take me home. We walked to the starting point to see if I had lost it when I put my phone in the belt at the beginning. It wasn't there so I said, "Hell, let's get a mimosa" Yes, there were mimosas at the finish line! We tried to figure out what to do before Leigh Ann suggested asking a cop if anyone had turned it in. He said they hadn't, but he could have the DJ make an announcement. Thankfully, about 5 minutes later, someone turned my key in and they announced it was at the award table! I was so happy it was found and I could go back to being excited about what I had just accomplished.

In all the lost-key-excitement, I forgot to stop my running app that told me my pace and time, so I don't know what time I finished or what my actual average pace was. I am hoping I can find it online sometime soon. Once I do, I'll definitely post the results.

I never thought I'd be a runner. I never thought I'd run a 5k. I never thought I'd run a mile. I never thought I'd run more than a minute without feeling like I was about to collapse a lung. But I did. And I will keep going. I am a runner. If I can be a runner, you can too. I can't wait to run more 5k's! I can't wait to run 10k's. I can't wait to meet my ultimate goal of running a half marathon. I can honestly say, running has changed my life.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats to you! What a great. Accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I just ran in my first 5K the end of September! I have another one this Saturday! You are kick ass for doing a 10K so soon! My goal is to do a 10K in the Spring! I have never been a runner either, but it feels great to get out and just do it! Ill be following your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I am so inspired by you. I just ran my first real race last weekend and it was a 3k, my goal was to run nonstop and I did it! I have my first 5k this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're amazing, Kassie! I know runnning has been a struggle for you {it still is for me}, but look at your pushing through and getting the job down!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it AMAZING crossing the finish line!!! Honestly doing 5k and 10's are what keep my running threw the week because I know I have to prove to myself I can finish and finish strong!!!

    Good for you!! And good luck on your 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! I'm glad you found your car key - scary! Good luck on your 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kassie I am all "knot in the throat" reading this. I must be going to start AF like any.day.now - you kept at it - you didn't let the key incident stop you - you DID IT!!! Congratulations. SO awesome.

    I lost my key once running at this park - no spare either and guess what? my cell was in the car. So I had to ask someone to borrow their phone, long story short.. I didn't have my wedding ring on and the guy who offered his phone asked if I wanted to continue to run with him - BAH!! So someone found my key and placed it on my car - because I went back around the trail telling EVERYONE (dumb I know) that if they found the key, my car was the White Nissan with the plates "Kottez". STUPID GIRL. So now I ONLY buy running shorts, skirs, pants with zipper pockets in them. AGH!!! It is so scary when that happens.

    Any whoo - CONGRATS again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your first 5K! And way to beast out a new higher pace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go!! There really is nothing like running a 5K....it's such a high!
    My ultimate goal is to run a half marathon too!
    KEEP IT UP GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for all your support! I am still on cloud nine about finishing. I thought about you all as I was running, which definitely made it all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WAY TO GO!!! I HATE running but thought i would turn myself into a runner by signing up for a 10 miler.. not a 10k a 10 miler! WHOA! I finished it, but you know what? I was WAY more proud of myself for a recent 5k i did (those are the only 2 races i have ever done btw) because I jogged the whole thing... yes i had to ask an 8 year old to walk by me while i jogged and not let me stop but I did it. I walked in the 10 miler (averaging a 12min mile) but not the 5k and knowing that was WAY crazy for me (even though my friends finished 10 mins before me) I was crazy proud and you should be too! You accomplished something you never thought you would and now you know you can do more! You're amazing and inspiring to me as I try to get back in this work out journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! That's awesome!! I'm just starting to train for a 5k & you are definitely an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! You look so cute, i'm always a hot mess after a race! The race day adrenaline is awesome and finishing feels great! So glad you found your key... that would have freaked me out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post! I am also a wanna be runner & attempting my first 5k in 3 weeks. I'm so nervous! Just the thought of running makes my gut hurt & always has. Ugh! However, I feel amazing when I'm done! I can't wait to read more from you. Please come check out my weight loss journey at browneyedgem.com. Currently working towards MILF status. ;)
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete